A fleet of small boats ranging from Airboats to a 26' Twin Vee are available from the Southeast Environmental Research Center (SERC) Field Operation's Center. A list of available vessels and fees can be found here. Some of the vessels typically kept on the BBC Campus are below.
16' Carolina Skiff
Southern Blowfish 21' Pro-Line Sport (2006)
R/V Quackenbush 32' Power Catamaran
- Twin 60 HP 4-stroke Mercury outboard engines
- Large open deck for classes on the bay
- 2-axle trailer available for off-campus launch
- Boat charge: $200 per day, includes Captain.
- Reserve through the Marine Science Program
Boat Operation Rules
FIU Boating Policy is set by the Boating Safety Committee, covering all boating activity done under the auspices of FIU. An overview of the Boating Safety Program and requirements can be found on this PDF file. Detailed information on the Boating Safety Program can be found on the Division of Research website. On that page can be found the current Boating Safety Manual, an online float plan link, as well as a Vessel Safety Checklist. Should there be difficulty with the online float plan, there is also a PDF version that can be filled out and emailed to the Boating Safety Officer and your onshore contacts.
- For diving operations, an additional crew chief must remain aboard at all times. FIU Diving and boating safety rules must be obeyed at all times. See FIU's Scientific Diving Manual for diving rules.
- FIU boats & trucks must be returned fully re-fueled. Fueling can done at BBC Vehicle Services, via the automated fuel pumps.
- All boats/trucks must be returned cleaned, any debris removed, and boats washed down with freshwater. Failure may result in ban from future use.
- Boat keys must be checked back in the morning after return.