- Ph.D., Oceanography with emphasis in Marine Biology, Scripps Institution of Oceanography - University of California, San Diego (2011)
- B.Sc. and M.Sc., Chemistry, with major emphasis in Natural Products Chemistry and minor emphasis in Pharmaceutical Bioscience, University of Gothenburg (2005)
- B.Sc. and M.Sc., Marine Biology with emphasis in Marine Microbiology, University of Gothenburg (2005)
- Multidisciplinary research focused on elucidating the link between biological and chemical diversity of marine cyanobacteria.
- Secondary metabolism in marine microorganisms with emphases on chemical ecology, natural products discovery, and chemotaxonomy.
- Utilization of molecular-phylogenetic methods for directing and enhancing natural product discovery programs.
- Molecular systematics, evolution, ecology, biogeography, and taxonomy of marine cyanobacteria.